Royal Mezyan – Form Guide
Royal Mezyan has been declared in the 6f apprentice handicap at Newmarket on Friday (5.30pm).
There are 11 runners in the 0-75 contest and he has been drawn in stall 11. Will Carver has been booked to ride, claiming 3lbs. The ballot for badges will close this evening at 6pm. If you would like to apply for a badge, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see below the exclusive SRC form guide for the race:
1. Jack The Truth – Has won three of his last six starts since returning from a break, the latest of them at Chelmsford in January off 3lbs lower. Twice a beaten-favourite since and now switches to turf for the first time on return from two months off. Couldn’t rule out further progress and apprentice has a good strike-rate (8 winners at 16%).
2. Red Alert – Dual winner on the AW but 0-9 on turf, including midfield effort at Bath a month ago. Likely pace angle and could be a danger if getting an easy lead, but likelihood is he’ll find a couple too good.
3. Danecase – Likes fast ground and he’s on a fair mark, one off which he won at Lingfield Park in October. Has shown promise on both starts back from a break and, with yard going well, he looks a leading contender.
4. Royal Mezyan
5. Poet’s Princess – Only win from 15 starts came on second career start as a 2yo and endured a disappointing 2017, though was highly tried on a number of occasions. Looks on a dangerous mark now and first-time blinkers suggest connections mean business, but was beaten just one rival home in two starts on fast ground and that’s the worry.
6. Toriano – All three wins have come on the AW and has only raced on turf once, back in 2016. Below form in four starts since winning at Lingfield at the turn of the year and others preferred.
7. Invincible Ridge – Only win on turf in the last three years came at Ayr in August 2016, though was twice successful on the AW last term and is now down to a good mark. Into the veteran stage, but hasn’t been running badly of late and could go well for yard in great form.
8. Briyouni – Dual winner for Kevin Ryan, but lost his way last term and joined current connections for 20,000gns in October. Down 7lbs after four quiet runs, finishing last on two most recent occasions and, though he is dangerously well-handicapped and drops to sprint trips for the first time, he has plenty to prove.
9. Coverham – Won twice over 7f at Kempton Park in March/April, but only midfield switched back to turf over 7f on soft ground at Doncaster last time. Remains a maiden on grass and probably place claims at best.
10. Musical Comedy – Four years since he tasted success and, having finished last year in poor form, he beat just one home on return at Windsor last month. Rated 106 in his prime and has improved for a run in each of past two seasons, so wouldn’t rule out a bold show at a price.
11. Tawaafoq – Made it 15th time lucky when scoring at Lingfield Park last time. Up just 2lbs for that, but does step up in grade too and couldn’t be confident about his chances.
VERDICT: Jack The Truth could be the improver and makes plenty of appeal on his return from two months off. Danecase and Invincible Ridge represent in-form yards and are respected, whilst Poet’s Princess would have to be considered, though the ground is a worry.
RECOMMENDED BET: Royal Mezyan is on a workable mark, has ground conditions in his favour and has come on for his reappearance run at Wolverhampton. He might just be a shade better off over the minimum trip, but should go well and is worth a small each-way bet.
1pt each-way Royal Mezyan